[FreeNX-kNX] win2k->linux nx printing issues (may be a samba issue)

Raul Carolus rcarolus at lightyeardt.com
Wed Aug 3 16:19:24 UTC 2005

Hello Again.

I'm reporting success.

> When my session came up, I opened the cups administration window and
> added the printer that way, using the same syntax that's passed to
> lpadmin inside the nxnode script.  I add it just fine, however when I go
> to print, I get the error: Connection failed with error
> NT_STATUS_DUPLICATE_NAME

In the nxnode add_printer_cmd I changed this line:

DEVICE_URI="smb://$username:$password@localhost:$port/$share"
DEVICE_URI="smb://$username:$password@127.0.0.1:$port/$share"

and it worked.  why this made a difference, oh.  I installed samba w/o
configuring it, so that server's netbios name is probably localhost and
was broadcasting it, causing an issue. *shrug*

So that worked.  It installed into the system and I was printing test
pages. I commented the code to select the model, and hard coded a path
to the .ppd of my printer.  This won't work in a real world situation,
but it works for my test.

On to my testing of using nxdesktop with forwarding of the printer to a
windows TS (what I want to use it with). I started NX destkop:

nxdesktop -r printer:HPLaserJ 10.x.x.x

It started up and loaded the printer.  Print a test page on it and I got:
lpr: error - unable to print file: client-error-not-found

lpstat -p listed no printers.  wierd since I logged lpstat -p in nxnode
and saw the printer listed there.  I executed lpadmin to add the printer
again and tried my test page.  It worked.

So success on two levels - printing from an nx session to my windows
printer, and printing from a TS session, inside an nx session, to my
windows printer.

There we have it.  I've got a lot of work to do before this will work
for us.  Thanks for putting up with my babbling.

-Raul