[FreeNX-kNX] Frontend for Terminal Services

Luca Corti cortez at tiscali.it
Mon Sep 27 13:57:39 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 12:57 +0200, Luca Corti wrote:
> From: Doug Burks <mubley at gmail.com>
> To: Luca Corti <luca.corti at tiscali.it>
> Cc: <freenx-knx at kde.org>
> Subject: Re: [FreeNX-kNX] Frontend for Terminal Services
>
> You've already got FreeNX installed and working, so to get FreeNX to
> frontend Windows Terminal Services, you'll need the following:
> 1)  nxdesktop on the FreeNX server
> 2)  NX client configured to access a Windows Terminal Server

This is not completely clear to me. How the nx server knows about the
rdp one?

> 1)  I assume that you put www.kalyxo.org in your apt sources.list and
> then did "apt-get install nxserver" to get FreeNX on your Debian box.
> If that's the case, you probably didn't get nxdesktop.  Check it with
> the following:
> ls /usr/bin/nxdesktop
> If you get "No such file or directory", then you don't have nxdesktop
> and can install it by doing the following:
> apt-get update && apt-get install nxdesktop

I've got nxdesktop correctly installed on the nx server.

> 2)  Once you've verified that nxdesktop is installed on the FreeNX
> server, you'll need to configure your NX client to request a Windows
> Terminal Server session.  The following steps assume that you are using
> the binary NoMachine client:

I'm using the nomachine client for windows.

> -Start the NX Connection Wizard.
> -NX Connection Wizard Welcome screen appears.  Click Next.
> -Session screen appears.  Enter the requested data and click Next.
> -Desktop screen appears.  Click the first drop-down box and select
> Windows.
> -Settings window appears.  Type the hostname of the Windows Terminal
> Server.  (The FreeNX server has to be able to resolve this hostname.) To
> keep this first test as simple as possible, leave the rest of the
> options at their default ("Show the Windows login screen" and "Run
> desktop") and click OK.

Ok, I've configured this, but how can the client know that I want to
pass through my nx server instead of directly connecting to the windows
server? Also, on which port should I connect? SSH (22) or TS (3389) ?

> -Back at Desktop screen, click the checkbox next to "Enable SSL
> encryption of all traffic" and click Next.
> -Configuration Completed screen appears.  Click Finish.
> -NoMachine login window appears.  Enter login and password, and click
> Login.
> -The NX client will login to the NX server and then launch nxdesktop to
> connect to the Windows Terminal Server you specified.
> -If all goes well, you should have an NX-boosted Terminal Services
> session!

I can't connect to the server. I get "NX server has refused the
connection" the and in the details window:

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 1640
nxssh: connect to address ip.address.ofmy.termsrv port 22: connection
refused

Why the ssh port on the windows host should be open?

If I change the target port to 3389 I get "Connection error":

NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 3608
NX> 200 Connected to address: ip.address.ofmy.termsrv port 3389

I fear I miss something. I thought the setup was something like:

client (nomachine client) -> frontend (freenx) -> backend (termsrv)

with the client knowing nothing about the backend windows host.

thanks

Luca

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and its attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose the contents to any other person, do not use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.