[FreeNX-kNX] Frontend for Terminal Services

Doug Burks mubley at gmail.com
Fri Sep 24 19:50:10 UTC 2004

You've already got FreeNX installed and working, so to get FreeNX to
frontend Windows Terminal Services, you'll need the following:
1)  nxdesktop on the FreeNX server
2)  NX client configured to access a Windows Terminal Server

1)  I assume that you put www.kalyxo.org in your apt sources.list and
then did "apt-get install nxserver" to get FreeNX on your Debian box.
If that's the case, you probably didn't get nxdesktop.  Check it with
the following:
ls /usr/bin/nxdesktop
If you get "No such file or directory", then you don't have nxdesktop
and can install it by doing the following:
apt-get update && apt-get install nxdesktop

2)  Once you've verified that nxdesktop is installed on the FreeNX
server, you'll need to configure your NX client to request a Windows
Terminal Server session.  The following steps assume that you are
using the binary NoMachine client:
-Start the NX Connection Wizard.
-NX Connection Wizard Welcome screen appears.  Click Next.
-Session screen appears.  Enter the requested data and click Next.
-Desktop screen appears.  Click the first drop-down box and select Windows.
-Settings window appears.  Type the hostname of the Windows Terminal
Server.  (The FreeNX server has to be able to resolve this hostname.)
To keep this first test as simple as possible, leave the rest of the
options at their default ("Show the Windows login screen" and "Run
desktop") and click OK.
-Back at Desktop screen, click the checkbox next to "Enable SSL
encryption of all traffic" and click Next.
-Configuration Completed screen appears.  Click Finish.
-NoMachine login window appears.  Enter login and password, and click Login.
-The NX client will login to the NX server and then launch nxdesktop
to connect to the Windows Terminal Server you specified.
-If all goes well, you should have an NX-boosted Terminal Services session!

Let us know whether or not that helps.

Thanks,
Doug