[FreeNX-kNX] Again: Exporting a running X session

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Sep 20 15:31:52 UTC 2004

On Sunday 19 September 2004 18:37, Rix Beck wrote:

> My question is similar...

No, it's completely different.  ;-)

> how should I continue a suspended session on
> windows client?

For Windows clients, there is only the NoMachine NX Client.
That one is either the last released (1.3.2) version, or
one of the recent 1.4.0 snapshats.

The 1.4.0 final release of the NoMachine Windows Client may
support a new feature which lists all available suspended
sessions as soon a user is authenticated. The user then is
supposed to select one of the listed sessions choose one of
"Terminate" or "Resume" for it, or not select a session and
choose "Create New session".

This will work for FreeNX the same.

For the 1.3.2 version of the NoMachine NX Client there was no
reconnection feature possible (because the NX server of 1.3.2
also didnt support it.)

You have 2 basic options with the NoMachine 1.3.0 NX Client for
Windows:

 * a) Connect to a FreeNX server
 * b) Connect to a NoMachine NX server

a) Connect to a NoMachine NX server:
------------------------------------
Reconnections are not supported with 1.3.x NX servers. There
*may* be auto-reconnect with the 1.4.0 server once it is
released.

b) Connect to FreeNX server:
----------------------------

The FreeNX server supports auto-reconnections, if it detects
that the NX client is a 1.3.x on version from NoMachine.
That means, if there is a suspended session of name "<the-
name-you-have-choosen-for the-session>" and a client with
the same credentials (username/password) wants to connect
to the session "<the-name-you-have-choosen-for the-session>"
FreeNX will revive that session and connect the client to
it.

So what if the client doesnt want to reconnect, but create
a new session? Easy: choose a different session name for
the  new session. That will leave the old session suspended
and you can still re-connect to it at a later time.

Suspending a session:
---------------------

To suspend a session, you need in any case an NX server that
is based on the 1.4.0 NX libraries (either NoMachine NX or
FreeNX).

How do you suspend a session?
-----------------------------

Easy: just close the window. For a KDE session that means to
click onto the "X" button on the upper right corner of the
window that contains the NX session. That will bring up a new
dialog, asking if you want to "Terminate" or "Suspend" the
session (or "Cancel" all actions).

Not so easy: close a "window" if you run the session in "fullscreen"
mode. In that case, minimize the window by clicking on the "magic
pixel" in the upper right corner. Once the window is minimized,
right-click on its minimized view in the taskbar and select "Close".
(You may need to maximize it again to see the mentioned dialog to
come up).

Not working: if you use the "normal" standard way to shut down a
session. For example, in a KDE session you would click the "K"
button, and select "Lockout...". That wouldnt interact with NX
at all, it would tell KDE to close down the KDE session. In the
end it would terminate the NX connection and there would be
nothing left running to reconnect to....

> thx
> Rix

I hope this makes the options regarding suspending, resuming, migrating
and reconnection of sessions clear.

Kurt