[FreeNX-kNX] nxtunnel-0.2 not working (but finding xauth now)

Neal H. Walfield neal at cs.uml.edu
Sat Sep 18 08:11:02 UTC 2004

> Here is a remote session transcript. The local nxtunnel client was in
> fact the Knoppix "aKademy Edtion" as you can find at

What do you mean by nxtunnel client?  Do you mean the nxproxy?

>    http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/aKademy-edition/

This URL does not seem to work for me.

> However, the nxtunnel-0.2 script gives this output:

> knoppix at ttyp1[downloads]$ sh nxtunnel-0.2 -vv kurt at remotenx xterm
[snip]
> remote debug1: Running NX display on localhost:17
> remote debug2: Creating directories for log files.
> remote debug1: Checking for xauth.
> Connection to remotenx closed.

It seems that nxtunnel is not finding xauth on remotenx.  (You have
also uncovered a small bug here as well in the nxtunnel script:
nxtunnel runs with set -e and checking for a program is not protected
by a || true.  I have fix this in my local copy.)  Try running:

  ssh remotenx which xauth

Note that this might produce different results from running ssh
remotenx and then which xauth as in this case you have an interactive
shell which potentially reads different start up files.

> kurt at remotenx:~/downloads> sh nxtunnel-0.2 -vv kurt at localhost xterm
> local debug1: Running NX display on localhost:16
> local debug2: Creating directories for log files.
> local debug1: Checking for xauth.
> local debug1: Found /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth.
> local debug1: Determining xauth cookie for unix:1024.
> local debug2: xauth token for unix:1024 is 468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e
> local debug1: Adding cookie "468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e" for p15159004/unix:16
> local debug1: Adding cookie "468d867c4ab88bd937e5c124e3dc0f9e" for p15159004:16
> local debug1: Checking for nc.
> local debug1: Found /usr/bin/nc.
> local debug1: Checking if sed supports --unbuffered
> local debug1: sed seems to support --unbuffered
> local debug1: Checking if grep supports --line-buffered
> local debug1: grep seems to support --line-buffered
> local debug1: Checking for faucet.
> local debug1: Found /usr/bin/faucet.
> local debug1: Checking for nxproxy.
> local debug1: Found /usr/bin/nxproxy.
> local debug1: Starting faucet to listen on port 6016 for an X connection.
> local debug1: Starting nxproxy on localhost:16.
> nxproxy: Error: NX transport initialization failed.

This is a different error from above.  I am not sure what could cause
this as nxproxy should be waiting for a connection from the remote
side (and you have not entered your password yet).  I hope nxproxy's
semantics have not changed.  (I am using the debian package from
kalyxo.org with the version number 1.3.99.1-0pre1.)

Thanks for the feedback,
Neal