[FreeNX-kNX] nxtunnel 0.2

Neal H. Walfield neal at cs.uml.edu
Fri Sep 17 18:18:32 UTC 2004

I am pleased to annouce version 0.2 of nxtunnel.  This version
incorporates the change proposed by Fabian, namely, tunneling over
ssh's X tunnel.  This radically increases the robustness of nxtunnel
(we don't need to do port forwarding manually which is error prone as
we can never know what port is free on the remote machine before we
connect).  I have also rewrittem some sections of the code and
refactored others.  Please find nxtunnel version 0.2 at:

    http://web.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/nxtunnel/

Be sure that the netpipes package (which includes faucet and hose) is
installed as well as netcat.

I have been using nxtunnel in place of ssh and I must confess that it
is wonderful (minus a few annoying bugs in nxagent).  The next version
will hopefully make it a drop in replacement.  Your help in making
this happen is appreciated.

If you run into problems with nxtunnel, please run nxtunnel with the
-vv option to enable the most verbose debugging options.  If you
cannot determine the problem on your own, feel free to send an email
to this list (FreeNX-kNX at kde.org) as well as a transcript of your
session with the aforementioned option enabled.  Also, please include
the version of nxagent and nxproxy that you are using (on both the X
server and the X client!).

Thank you,
Neal