[FreeNX-kNX] VNC connecting question

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 23:32:51 UTC 2004

Laura Thurber wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've worked out most of my bugs with FreeNX :-)
> Surprisingly most of my connection problems were caused by noone
 > mentioning the necessity of running nxserver --adduser
It isn't necessary, unless you have selected that option in nxserver, or
PAM isnt working properly.
> in order to actually be able to connect!  All sorts of fancy
 > diagnostic methods were proposed, but that one failed to be
> mentioned...which is not something I can possibly hold against anyone,
> since it *was* written clearly in the HowTo I was following.  I
 > mention it purely to indicate the closing of one problem and the
> opening of another.
>
> I can connect using the Unix/Custom settings, get around my desktop,
 > etc.  However, it is nearly as slow as regular VNC.
I believe you are missing something in your installation.  What flavor
are you running? How did you do the nx backend installation? Are you
using the Kalyxo debs, or some other package? Which guide did you follow?
> One of my friends is using freeNX on Debian & KDE, which I understand
 > has NX integrated into itself and will therefore run faster than a
> window manager which is not quite as complete (i.e. WindowMaker).  It
 > seems to me though that lack of direct windowmanager hooks can't
 > possibly account for *all* the slowdown - am I wrong?

I'm thinking a library issue, cuz it sounds like there is no compression
going on.
> I have tried connecting via VNC to my x11vnc server, to see whether or
 > not that would be faster, and also so that I can get at my :0 desktop.
> I get this output in my session file (the "what is your command" line is echo'd from my .bashrc):
Looking at your output, it looks like your RSA key wasnt added to your
nx users known host file. Did you run nxsetup, or create the user manually?
> [...]
> NX> 103 Welcome to: cleopatra user: laura
> NX> 105 startsession --session="Cleopatra" --type="vnc" --cache="32M" --images="32M" --cookie="37769c7ac2200cb48f8f9ae76f01797d" --link="wan" --encryption="1" --backingstore="never" --geometry="fullscreen" --keyboard="us" --media="0" --agent_server="XX.XX.XX.XX:1" --agent_user="" --agent_password="XXXXXXX"
>
> What is your command, my mistress?
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> @    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
> IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
> Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
> It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
> The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
> 87:b6:fb:56:ca:8d:83:2e:6c:55:26:7c:65:75:fb:42.
> Please contact your system administrator.
> Add correct host key in /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
> Offending key in /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/known_hosts:1
> Keyboard-interactive authentication is disabled to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks.
> NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 1.4.0-02 "OS_(GPL)"
> NX> 700 Session id: cleopatra-1011-F2DC5D7AA05EE8377120511E4624F737
> NX> 705 Session display: 1011
> NX> 703 Session type: vnc
> NX> 701 Proxy cookie: dc974bf24f0dea98e5eb9bf8ab9f10f7
> NX> 702 Proxy IP: 127.0.0.1
> NX> 706 Agent cookie: 37769c7ac2200cb48f8f9ae76f01797d
> NX> 704 Session cache: vnc
> NX> 707 SSL tunneling: 1
> NX> 710 Session status: running
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> NX> 105 NX> 1004 Error: nxagent failed to start. Session timed out.
> Blocking 1011 again ...
> NX> 1001 Bye.
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
>
> channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
> I'm unsure of how to manually put the key given in known_hosts - I presume that is the key of the nx windows client which is trying to connect to nx?
This is an error msg relating to a loopback ssh session, where nx tries
to ssh to the user account. In this case "laura".