[FreeNX-kNX] VNC connecting question

Laura Thurber Laura.Thurber at trx.com
Thu Oct 28 22:52:39 UTC 2004

Hi all,
I've worked out most of my bugs with FreeNX :-)
Surprisingly most of my connection problems were caused by noone mentioning the necessity of running nxserver --adduser in order to actually be able to connect!  All sorts of fancy diagnostic methods were proposed, but that one failed to be mentioned...which is not something I can possibly hold against anyone, since it *was* written clearly in the HowTo I was following.  I mention it purely to indicate the closing of one problem and the opening of another.

I can connect using the Unix/Custom settings, get around my desktop, etc.  However, it is nearly as slow as regular VNC.  One of my friends is using freeNX on Debian & KDE, which I understand has NX integrated into itself and will therefore run faster than a window manager which is not quite as complete (i.e. WindowMaker).  It seems to me though that lack of direct windowmanager hooks can't possibly account for *all* the slowdown - am I wrong?

I have tried connecting via VNC to my x11vnc server, to see whether or not that would be faster, and also so that I can get at my :0 desktop.
I get this output in my session file (the "what is your command" line is echo'd from my .bashrc):
NX> 203 NXSSH running with pid: 6072

NX> 200 Connected to address: XX.XX.XX.XX on port: 22

NX> 202 Authenticating user: nx

NX> 208 Using auth method: publickey
HELLO NXSERVER - Version 1.4.0-02 OS_(GPL)
NX> 105 Hello NXCLIENT - Version 1.3.2
NX> 105 SET SHELL_MODE SHELL
NX> 105 SET AUTH_MODE PASSWORD
NX> 105 login
NX> 101 User: laura
NX> 102 Password:
NX> 103 Welcome to: cleopatra user: laura
NX> 105 startsession --session="Cleopatra" --type="vnc" --cache="32M" --images="32M" --cookie="37769c7ac2200cb48f8f9ae76f01797d" --link="wan" --encryption="1" --backingstore="never" --geometry="fullscreen" --keyboard="us" --media="0" --agent_server="XX.XX.XX.XX:1" --agent_user="" --agent_password="XXXXXXX"

What is your command, my mistress?
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
@    WARNING: REMOTE HOST IDENTIFICATION HAS CHANGED!     @
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
IT IS POSSIBLE THAT SOMEONE IS DOING SOMETHING NASTY!
Someone could be eavesdropping on you right now (man-in-the-middle attack)!
It is also possible that the RSA host key has just been changed.
The fingerprint for the RSA key sent by the remote host is
87:b6:fb:56:ca:8d:83:2e:6c:55:26:7c:65:75:fb:42.
Add correct host key in /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/known_hosts to get rid of this message.
Offending key in /usr/NX/home/nx/.ssh/known_hosts:1
Keyboard-interactive authentication is disabled to avoid man-in-the-middle attacks.
NX> 1000 NXNODE - Version 1.4.0-02 "OS_(GPL)"
NX> 700 Session id: cleopatra-1011-F2DC5D7AA05EE8377120511E4624F737
NX> 705 Session display: 1011
NX> 703 Session type: vnc
NX> 701 Proxy cookie: dc974bf24f0dea98e5eb9bf8ab9f10f7
NX> 702 Proxy IP: 127.0.0.1
NX> 706 Agent cookie: 37769c7ac2200cb48f8f9ae76f01797d
NX> 704 Session cache: vnc
NX> 707 SSL tunneling: 1
NX> 710 Session status: running
channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

NX> 105 NX> 1004 Error: nxagent failed to start. Session timed out.
Blocking 1011 again ...
NX> 1001 Bye.
channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused

channel 2: open failed: connect failed: Connection refused
I'm unsure of how to manually put the key given in known_hosts - I presume that is the key of the nx windows client which is trying to connect to nx?

Thanks!
-Laura