[FreeNX-kNX] Re: got: "cannot create directory `/home/.nx'"

freenx at mikebell.org freenx at mikebell.org
Fri Oct 22 19:31:48 UTC 2004

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 04:47:47PM -0700, Rick Stout wrote:
> Found it! This document should get you started:
> http://www.nomachine.com/documentation/html/building-components.html

Read that one already in my initial search, unfortunately it completely
neglects to mention how the tunneled version is done. Also, even if they
did have such info it'd probably be out of date since the mechanism has
apparently completely changed to not use SSH's port forwarding as of
August. I can only assume they now send the NX data over STDIN/STDOUT
like, say, rsync. Seems like a very good move to me, eliminates the need
to worry about port number conflicts, it's been tried, tested and proven
true in lots of other programs, and it's a clean interface conceptually.
In fact I briefly looked at making such a change myself, before I found
out they'd already stopped using ssh port forwarding, but I got lost in
that labyrinthine library nxcomp and decided to come to the list for
help instead.