[FreeNX-kNX] /home/.nx

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 17:05:16 UTC 2004

Rick Stout wrote:

> Christian Fischer wrote:
>
>> On Thursday 21 October 2004 18:20, Rick Stout wrote:
>>
>>> Hey all,
>>> Need some input. I received a request a few days ago to move the
>>> /home/.nx to somewhere else. There are a few reasons for this,
>>> automounter wont let you create directories if that dir is automouted,
>>> but more importantly, it doesnt *seem* to be FHS compliant. The FHS says
>>> that /home is for *user* directories and "Therefore, no program should
>>> rely on this location."
>>> Obviously for anyone's taste, the nxserver script can be edited to
>>> change the home location, then rerun nxsetup. But what are the thoughts
>>> about moving it to /etc/nxserver, or somewhere in /var?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Rick Stout
>>

>> Following the README instructions in
>> http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/freenx-0.2.x.tar.gz we have to apply
>> the gentoo-nomachine.diff. If we do that the default location of
>> home/nx is /usr/NX/home/nx.

The gentoo-nomachine.diif is applied because the gentoo emerge relies on
the commercial client being installed.

>> I think this is a good solution because of centralizing the NX
>> installation and having FHS compliance.
>> IMHO it is better than moving it to /etc or /var.
The problem I see with this is duplicating directories. Why make a
/usr/NX/etc, /usr/NX/bin, /usr/NX/share, /usr/NX/lib, etc... when you
have perfectly good directories designed for those things.
>> Maybe linking /usr/NX/etc to /etc/NX is useful for some people. I
>> think having eg. /usr/NX/var in /var/NX  makes only sense if you have
>> an own partition for /var. In case of having an partition for /var
>> moving home/nx to /var/NX/home/nx is maybe useful.
>> Probably most users have 3 partitions i think (/boot, / and swap).

If most users have don't have anything more than /boot, / and swap, then
moving the home directory to /var/{something} or /etc/nxserver should
work rather nicely.
>> Regards
>> Christian

Regards,