[FreeNX-kNX] /home/.nx

Christian Fischer Christian.Fischer at fischundfischer.com
Fri Oct 22 09:13:11 UTC 2004

On Thursday 21 October 2004 18:20, Rick Stout wrote:
> Hey all,
>  Need some input. I received a request a few days ago to move the
> /home/.nx to somewhere else. There are a few reasons for this,
> automounter wont let you create directories if that dir is automouted,
> but more importantly, it doesnt *seem* to be FHS compliant. The FHS says
> that /home is for *user* directories and "Therefore, no program should
> rely on this location."
> Obviously for anyone's taste, the nxserver script can be edited to
> change the home location, then rerun nxsetup. But what are the thoughts
> about moving it to /etc/nxserver, or somewhere in /var?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick Stout

Following the README instructions in
http://debian.tu-bs.de/knoppix/nx/freenx-0.2.x.tar.gz
we have to apply the gentoo-nomachine.diff. If we do that the default location
of home/nx is /usr/NX/home/nx. I think this is a good solution because of
centralizing the NX installation and having FHS compliance.
IMHO it is better than moving it to /etc or /var.
Maybe linking /usr/NX/etc to /etc/NX is useful for some people. I think having
eg. /usr/NX/var in /var/NX  makes only sense if you have an own partition
for /var. In case of having an partition for /var moving home/nx
to /var/NX/home/nx is maybe useful.
Probably most users have 3 partitions i think (/boot, / and swap).

Regards
Christian