[FreeNX-kNX] Re: got: "cannot create directory `/home/.nx'"

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:18:04 UTC 2004

Kurt Pfeifle wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 October 2004 17:49, Rick Stout wrote:
>

>>>- run the setup:
>>>    nxsetup --setup-nomachine-key
>>>

>>Just a thought. I don't think its a good idea to use or recommend the
>>--setup-nomachine-key option.
>

> I beg to differ here.
>
> The thing is: it should be *explained* what that setting does, and it
> should be explained well and clear. How about s.th. like this for
> a start (comments welcome):
>
> -------------- snip --------------------------------------------------
>
>  * you can use "--setup-nomachine-key" to allow secure login with
>    no extra configuration from all NX client programms (currently
>    "kNX" from KDE and the NoMachine NX Client). Contrary to popular
>    belief and some mis-information, this option will *still* use an
>    SSH-encrypted login with the private username/password for each
>    user. What this option does, is to create the initial connection
>    to the NX server with the credentials of the "nx" special user
>    (comparable to Apache's often used "wwwrun" or "nobody" users),
>    which runs the very limited "nxserver" shell to open the connection
>    for the real user's login. The "nomachine-key" is a key that is
>    include with each NX client. It means that a connection attempt
>    can be made from every NX client, but is rejected if the correct
>    username and password aren't given.
>
>  * if you use "nxsetup" without that option, a unique SSH key pair
>    is auto-created for your FreeNX server. You need to make sure
>    to transfer and correctly store your server's unique (semi-)public
>    SSH key on each NX client prior to its first login attempt. This
>    means, that without the correct SSH key the login fails already at
>    the initial connection stage (before any chance to use the username
>    + password) and from any NX Client that doesn't know the NX Server's
>    key.
>
> A considerable number of people think that the "--setup-nomachine-key"
> makes their NX server a tad bit less secure. OTOH, it also makes its
> use a bit more comfortable. Security and comfort are here, as always,
> two goals that are not easy to meet at the same time. It is up to you
> to decide what you want to do. The FreeNX default is to not use the
> "--setup-nomachine-key" automatically, but only if you request it by
> explicitely typing it in.
>
> -------------- snap --------------------------------------------------
>

>>Its never a good idea to use default
>>security settings, and a dsa key that gives you access to a server is
>>definetly not a good idea.
>

> Please!! This isn't giving you access to a "server". That's how FUD
> is originating (even if you don't intend it, Rick!)-- It gives you
> access to a *login prompt* (where you still have to know the username
> and password to get in).

My thinking is this: (No FUD intended, Darl isn't around...)

Exploit found (whether it be in (free)NX or SSH). Allows anyone to
connect to a machine running (free)NX as long as they have the key. That
would basically mean any computer with the nomachine key is compromised.
Forcing users to create a key would help with that.

Not likely, but definitely not far from a possibility...

>>I realize its not the default, but maybe we
>>should remove the nomachine key setup option,
>

> By any means: NO!! You have my veto on this one.
>

>>and leave the key in the
>>README for anyone that NEEDS to use it.
>

> Hehe.... reminds me of the "Security by Obscurity" mantra...  ;-)
>

>>That will make it much more
>>difficult to use,
>

> We should make it not more difficult to use. What we should do,
> is *explain* what the various options mean, and what implications
> they have.
>
> In any case, it is a very good idea to write a README (or other
> documentation) about the key setup options as well as about "(Free)NX
> server security") which goes even more into detail than what is my
> humble attempt above.
>
> You've written some great documents about (Free)NX already, Rick.
> Maybe you could be teased to go for another one?

Let me see what I can come up with. "Rick's Master guide to NX, SSH and
the key's that bind them"... hehehehe