[FreeNX-kNX] Re: got: "cannot create directory `/home/.nx'"

Rick Stout zipsonic at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 17:06:00 UTC 2004

Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:

> I find NX very interesting. It's incredibly fast, simple to install, etc...
> But this key thing seems too bad. What if you would have a public NX
> server? You must add to the authorized_keys file everyone that would
> like to connect? Forget it...
> It's like if you ask every sysadmin to where you would like to connect
> with SSH to add your key to the authorized_keys of a machine user.
> The best IMO is to have only one key (let the user choose) that is "not
> secured", but then secure the NX server like SSH is secured.
> This way you'll avoid this key mess...
> -jec

Key replacement can be scripted and having one key is not secure.
Period. What might be a better option is to code the client to allow
multiple keys. Create profiles that allow you to specify the key you
want to connect with. SSH will allow you to specify key files(-i
option), so this shouldn't be too hard to implement.