[FreeNX-kNX] vnc session does not work

Doug Burks mubley at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 14:25:59 UTC 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 16:02:21 +0200, Tobias Paepke
<tobiaspaepke at metaldyne.de> wrote:
[snip]
> it works with the nx client configurations. i restored the original
> /usr/bin/nxnode
> the guys from realvnc says that they use the ZRLE Encoding which is as
> good as the tight-stuff. is it possible to support this too?

I don't know if NoMachine has any plans to incorporate ZRLE Encoding
into nxviewer in the future, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.
Perhaps the FreeNX community could build our own nxviewer that
included support for TightVNC, RealVNC, UltraVNC, and the other
flavors that are out there.  I, personally, would like to see an
nxviewer that could auto-scale the VNC session for times when you're
on a machine with a resolution of 800x600 and you're connecting to a
VNC server with a resolution of 1024x768 (see UltraVNC viewer for
example).

> are there any performance gains using the tight-stuff compared to the
> "Use X plain bitmaps" (using the nxclient of course)?

It really depends on the network topology/traffic between the NX
server and the VNC server (Windows 2000 box in your case).  If it is a
Gigabit LAN at 10% of capacity, then you'll probably see little
difference (if any at all) between Tight-enabled and Tight-disabled.
As always, your mileage may vary.

Doug