[FreeNX-kNX] When deploying Linux

Doug Burks mubley at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 13:30:33 UTC 2004

Hi Chris,

This is absolutely possible!  You can build one FreeNX server that
your FreeNX thin clients connect to.  The FreeNX clients would be
configured for Gnome or KDE and would receive that as their normal
environment.  You could then populate their Gnome/KDE desktops (or
program menus) with a launcher that would fire up nxdesktop, connect
to the Windows terminal server, login automatically with a certain
username/password, and start a particular application (with no Windows
desktop, Start Menu, etc.).  For more information, try "man nxdesktop"
from a command line on the FreeNX server.

If one Windows account is only going to be running one particular
Windows application, you can also force this within Active Directory
(if available).  You can find this option in Active Directory Users
and Computers --> user properties --> Environment tab --> Start the
following program at logon.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Thanks,
Doug