Gopher

Schimon Jehudah sjehuda at yandex.com
Mon Nov 20 15:50:27 GMT 2023

Greeting everyone!

QUESTION
--------

I was wondering what do you think of Falkon having support for the
protocol Gopher?

Is it an easy task?

ABOUT
-----

I have been trying Castor (GTK+ Gopher browser) which is launched each
time I click on a gopher:// link from Falkon.

In the last couple of weeks, I was exposed to over a dozen of websites
that run Gopher, without a direct attempt.

Gopher seems very nice.

OPINION
-------

I think it would be productive to add support for Gopher because no big
web browser vendor supports Gopher, which means that support for Gopher
would increase the popularity of Falkon, as Falkon would be the best
choice, along with K-Meleon, to be a Gopher supported web browser
(primary or secondary).

* Unlike K-Meleon, Falkon is supported in multiple platforms.
* Unlike Castor, Falkon has more features that are more compelling.

RESOURCES
---------

Some websites that run Gopher
http://bitreich.org/
https://envs.net/
http://floodgap.com/

Bitreich is also serving a cgit instance at
gopher://bitreich.org:70/0/scm/geomyidae/atom.xml

I have attached an article with history of gopher
Source: gopher://gopher.floodgap.com:70/1/gopher/

With appreciation to the Falkon
web browser and open internet,
Schimon