Falkon UI for touch and handheld devices

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Dec 5 14:56:04 GMT 2022

On Mon, 5 Dec 2022 16:38:36 +0200
Genghis Khan <genghiskhan at gmx.ca> wrote:

> [...]
> >

> I'm looking into Falkon, again.
> I'm testing on postmarketOS (Phosh).
>
> Please note that it was difficult for me to see the following because
> I've 30 active tabs and in past I've even reached to 3K and I'm
> obssesed with databases, that is to say I'm not used to windowed
> browsing.
>
> It appears that there's not much to change, because the main UI of
> Falkon already has most of what is needed for smaller displays.
>
> Below is my observation and design review:
>
> TOOLBAR
> -------
> Falkon should have all toolbars hidden by default except Navigation
> Toolbar.
>
> Search Bar (a part of the Address Bar) should be disabled.
> This can be done now by collapsing the Address Bar to the Search Bar,
> but it really should be completely disabled as the display might be
> too narrow.
>
> TABS
> ----
> Tabs should be disabled by default in favor of (New) Windows.
>
> SUGGESTIONS
> -----------
> For the time being, suggestions should be disabled so it won't
> interrupt user typing on virtual keyboard, unless theses's a way to
> program the suggestions in a different way that would not interrupt
> typing.
>
> TOOLS BUTTON
> ------------
> Button "Tools Button" should be hidden by default and dialog
> "Configure Toolbar" should be available inside Preferences ->
> Appearance.
>
> ICON
> ----
> Falkon should change its icon to favicon, if available, for each
> active tab.  This is the begaviour of the default web browser of
> LineageOS and it seems useful.
>
> SETTINGS
> --------
> Preferences and other dialogs should be stretched, that is occupy
> Falkon main window.
> Preferences and other dialogs should also be adapted to smaller
> displays.
>
> STATUS BAR
> ----------
> This issue is also relevant to Sway Window Manager for Wayland.
> Menus of status bar are opened to the buttom which makes them unusable
> when Falkon is maximized (streched).
>
> MENU
> ----
> Context menu might need some changes, but I think it's best to leave
> it after users provide feedbacks for Handheld Mode, perhaps under
> "Appearance" or "Configure Toolbar".
>
> FINAL NOTE
> ----------
> I think we need to add a Handheld Mode to Preferences -> Appearance,
> and when this mode is made available, Falkon is perfect for handheld
> devices.
>
> Juraj, please do let me know how can I help.

Further notes:

> TABS
> ----
> Tabs should be disabled by default in favor of (New) Windows.

No.

I stand corrected.

TABS
----
I think that a convergenced Vertical Tabs sidebar can be enabled by
default, which I think is a very good solution and will allow users to
handle sessions of multiple tabs.  It seems that such solution isn't
offered by any web browser yet.

MENU
----
Menus should not contain sub-menus, so essential menu items should be
placed on the main menu (e.g. sessions, history and bookmarks sub-menus
to be removed and page sourc, full screen, zoom in/out to be moved to
the main menu).

ENCODING
--------
Character Encoding sub-menu should be available in a form of a dialog
when each change will be "Previewd" upon click.

FULL SCREEN
Navigation Toolbar shoud be always visible, because F11 key isn't
available on all th keyboards and when it is, it requires several
clicks to reach to.

Kind regards,
 --GK~