Falkon UI for touch and handheld devices

Genghis Khan genghiskhan at gmx.ca
Mon Dec 5 14:38:36 GMT 2022

Juraj, hello

It's good to read from you. Please see message below.

On Wed, 30 Nov 2022 22:33:06 +0100
Juraj Oravec <jurajoravec at mailo.com> wrote:

> > postmarketOS is a Linux operating system that is intended for
> > handheld devices such as PDA, Pocket PC, Smartphone, Tablet; it is
> > also available for Laptop, PC, and TV.
>
> I use PostmarketOS on the PinePhone and it is a fun ride, which means
> I have a device for testing if needed.
>

> Personal note: At minimum, I am willing to program it if there is a
> design and functionality properly described (I already struggle with
> one feature and I lack the interest in these touch devices).
> Otherwise if noone else steps up, do not expect miracles.

I'm looking into Falkon, again.
I'm testing on postmarketOS (Phosh).

Please note that it was difficult for me to see the following because
I've 30 active tabs and in past I've even reached to 3K and I'm
obssesed with databases, that is to say I'm not used to windowed
browsing.

It appears that there's not much to change, because the main UI of
Falkon already has most of what is needed for smaller displays.

Below is my observation and design review:

TOOLBAR
-------
Falkon should have all toolbars hidden by default except Navigation
Toolbar.

Search Bar (a part of the Address Bar) should be disabled.
This can be done now by collapsing the Address Bar to the Search Bar,
but it really should be completely disabled as the display might be too
narrow.

TABS
----
Tabs should be disabled by default in favor of (New) Windows.

SUGGESTIONS
-----------
For the time being, suggestions should be disabled so it won't interrupt
user typing on virtual keyboard, unless theses's a way to program the
suggestions in a different way that would not interrupt typing.

TOOLS BUTTON
------------
Button "Tools Button" should be hidden by default and dialog "Configure
Toolbar" should be available inside Preferences -> Appearance.

ICON
----
Falkon should change its icon to favicon, if available, for each active
tab.  This is the begaviour of the default web browser of LineageOS and
it seems useful.

SETTINGS
--------
Preferences and other dialogs should be stretched, that is occupy Falkon
main window.
Preferences and other dialogs should also be adapted to smaller
displays.

STATUS BAR
----------
This issue is also relevant to Sway Window Manager for Wayland.
Menus of status bar are opened to the buttom which makes them unusable
when Falkon is maximized (streched).

MENU
----
Context menu might need some changes, but I think it's best to leave it
after users provide feedbacks for Handheld Mode, perhaps under
"Appearance" or "Configure Toolbar".

FINAL NOTE
I think we need to add a Handheld Mode to Preferences -> Appearance,
and when this mode is made available, Falkon is perfect for handheld
devices.

Juraj, please do let me know how can I help.

 Kind regards,
 --GK~