D26753: Option for internal PDFium-based viewer on Qt 5.13+

Alexander Lukichev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jan 21 18:05:50 GMT 2020

alukichev added a comment.

  In D26753#597754 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26753#597754>, @SGOrava wrote:

  > So I tested it and it works as intended.

  Thanks for testing!

  > What I see as a problem is that this patch does not honour the relationship between PDF viewer and Pepper plugins.
  >  So if you disable pepper plugins PDF viewer would also be gone and users would complain.

  Indeed. I'll change the patch to account for that.

  > I would add this option under pepper plugin option if possible add some indent and used some signals&slots to make it active only when pepper plugins are enabled and disabled when pepper plugins are disabled.

  Notwithstanding the dependency noted above, do you think it is a good idea to put that option directly under "Allow Pepper Plugins (Flash plugin)"? The viewer is not a plugin, in the sense that other Falkon plugins are, or even in relation to qtwebengine, as it is its built-in component within QtEngineCore. What do you think?

  I've also noticed the viewer's dependency on v8 in the source code, so even though it appears to work when you uncheck "Allow Javascript" checkbox in the preferences, it may not work entirely as expected. There may be other dependencies we don't know about. All that appears to be internal implementation details prone to change along with "chromium" bundle that Qt takes as a 3rd party component. There seems to be no point in tying all those details on Falkon's top level UI...

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D26753