D26753: Option for internal PDFium-based viewer on Qt 5.13+

Alexander Lukichev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 19 08:49:25 GMT 2020

alukichev added a comment.

  In D26753#596709 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26753#596709>, @SGOrava wrote:

  > It should be optional, many people would like to have internal PDF viewer.

  Yes. I've updated the patch. Now it adds a checkbox to choose whether to use internal PDF viewer.

  The option is off by default as to keep the behavior consistent with that on older (pre Qt 5.13) systems, but can be turned on.

  > In the end you want download button in internal PDF viewer, it is managed by QtWebEngine
  >  which mean you should also go and bug Qt developers https://bugreports.qt.io/

  Not even them! Qt guys made a wrapper around PDFium (see this announcement <https://www.qt.io/blog/2017/01/30/new-qtpdf-qtlabs-module>), and PDFium <https://pdfium.googlesource.com/pdfium/> is a Google territory. So trying to push a feature through there (upstream) would not necessarily mean that it makes its way into Qt at all.

  And my point is not absence of a "download" button in that viewer but keeping the existing behavior regarding PDF documents on newer systems as well as on older ones. A feature I've loved since Qupzilla times. I would not sacrifice an ability to run pepper plugins for that. Instead, being able to opt in/out seems a better solution.

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D26753