D26753: Disable internal PDFium-based viewer on Qt 5.13+

Alexander Lukichev noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Jan 19 06:40:16 GMT 2020

alukichev added a comment.

  In D26753#596575 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D26753#596575>, @SGOrava wrote:

  > It can be disabled by unchecking simple checkbox at:
  >  (Preferences > Browsing > [ ] Allow Pepper Pluginf (Flash player)).

  I think, that checkbox disables/enables another thing: **all** plugins that use pepper API. It controls the `QWebEngineSettings::PluginsEnabled` setting, which, according to [1]:

  > Enables support for Pepper plugins, such as the Flash player. Disabled by default.

  This patch, on the other hand, tries to act on another setting: `QWebEngineSettings::PdfViewerEnabled`, which:

  > Specifies that PDF documents will be opened in the internal PDF viewer instead of being downloaded. Enabled by default. (Added in Qt 5.13)

  Unchecking the checkbox you've mentioned may work because the internal PDF viewer uses pepper API. It is not fair for the user, though, to force them to disable **all** plugins that use pepper just because of internal PDF viewer.

  Making that setting be controlled through another checkbox might be a good idea! The problem is that the setting exists only for Qt 5.13 and above, so I don't know how to make it conditionally used in `lib/preferences/preferences.ui`...

  Links:

  1. QWebEngineSettings documentation <https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qwebenginesettings.html#WebAttribute-enum>

REPOSITORY
  R875 Falkon