D19804: Updated README.md with detailed build instructions

David Rosca noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sun Mar 17 11:53:35 GMT 2019

drosca requested changes to this revision.
drosca added inline comments.

INLINE COMMENTS

> README.md:2
> +# Falkon
> +__Falkon__ (formerly QupZilla) is a free and open-source web browser. It is built on the Qt WebEngine which is a wrapper for the Chromium browser core.
> +![image](https://www.falkon.org/images/screenshot.png)

Just mentioning that it is a KDE web browser and maybe also that it uses QtWebEngine is enough.

> README.md:5
>
> -QtWebEngine web browser.
> +## Introduction
> +__Falkon__ is a KDE web browser using QtWebEngine rendering engine, previously known as QupZilla. It aims to be a lightweight web browser available through all major platforms. This project has been originally started only for educational purposes. But from its start, Falkon has grown into a feature-rich browser.

Please remove this whole Introduction part.

> README.md:22
> +$ cmake ..
> +$ make
> +$ sudo make install

`make && make install` no sudo

> README.md:25
>  ```
> -mkdir build && cd build
> -cmake ..
> -make
> +To run Falkon
> +```sh

This is wrong. You should always run the installed binary.

> README.md:30
> +```
> +## Dependencies
> +- gcc

- gcc: it also works with other compilers, remove this
- cmake. should be spelled "CMake"
- QT 5: should be spelled "Qt 5"

either use package names everywhere or nowhere

- libxcb-util-dev: it's only dependency on Linux and only when not building with NO_X11
- extra-cmake-modules: should be moved under cmake
- libssl-dev: should be just OpenSSL

> README.md:38
> +
> +`Note:`If you have installed QT externally
> +then you need to specify its path insted of `cmake ..` put

This applies to all dependencies, I don't think mentioning it only for Qt makes sense

REPOSITORY
  R875 Falkon

REVISION DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/D19804