older bug that's hitting us hard

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu May 17 10:56:13 UTC 2018

It's an issue that's hit quite a few of our other deployments.

One intermediate workaround is to drop any symlinks to remote mounts
anywhere, and replace them with a .desktop file with the contents:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Link
URL[$e]=file:///mnt/server

Things may still freeze when you open it, but at least it won't take down
the taskbar and such. The fact that you see it when you switch desktops
implies you might have some different widgets on the other virtual desktop
that we're hitting. Maybe check and remove them.

I don't know your specific places where we had blocking stat calls in 4.x.
It's quite old.

The best way to find them is to recreate the freeze then run:
sudo gdb --pid `pidof theFrozenProcess`    then when it's loaded type "bt".
Then we'll have some data to do something with.

In Plasma 5.12 the situation is much better, I removed quite a few
potential blockers that another big deployment had. Even with symlinks to a
remote mount on the desktop things seem ok. I only know of one place left,
the code that generates the "free space left" bar in the file manager view.
I have a patch I can give deployments that just turns them off. But
obviously changing all of the desktop is a huge upgrade that might be
difficult in your situation.

David