[SDDM] Invoking sddm splash inmediatly

Angel Docampo adocampo at dltec.net
Fri Nov 3 09:11:03 UTC 2017

I was wrong because I took as an example the sddm theme used by Kaos Linux (heritage), they have a Splash.qml where they draw the animation, but as you say, it doesn't seem sddm but plasma, as the path is /usr/share/plasma/look-and-feel/org.kde.heritage.desktop/contents/splash/Splash.qml.

My problem must be the winbind piece (the PAM stuff). I'm on a +10000 users Active Directory cluster where each users belongs to several *thousand* groups (don't know why), and winbind takes a bit to populate the membership list. I tried first SDDD but that tool took almost half an hour to login a user while winbind takes 1-3 minutes (depending the network load).

What I'm wondering is why lightdm behaves different - I expect to behave with the same logic as sddm - When I clicked on login, it checked the credentials, and if they were right, closed the greeter and launched the session (no splash on MATE) and -that's the tricky part- did the PAM stuff in background while loading the desktop, as the desktop was already started, I was able to draw a zenity dialog showing what was the system doing.

The problem with sddm seems to be that it does all the PAM related stuff before closing the greeter and launch the Plasma.
It makes any sense my reflexion?