Enforcing screen lock policies for RHEL 7 / KDE 4?

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:53:21 UTC 2017

Hi Folks,
I support a 95% Gnome 3 environment and am currently working on policies to
help lock down alternate desktop managers.

I spent a few minutes googling and came up empty, so I set the preferred
settings I wanted manually and looked for the corresponding ~/.kde/ file
that it changed, discovered kscreensaverrc.  That gave me the format I
wanted.

Then I skimmed the KDE kiosk guidance and found out about the [$i] thing,
eg: [ScreenSaver][$i] to make the settings immutable.

I looked for system-level configs for KDE in /etc and was saddened to
discover no location in /etc/ to make a global override.  Then I went
digging through /usr/share/kde-settings and ended up putting this file:

# cat
/usr/share/kde-settings/kde-profile/default/share/config/kscreensaverrc
[ScreenSaver][$i]
Enabled=true
LegacySaverEnabled=true
Lock=true
LockGrace=10
PlasmaEnabled=false
Saver=kblank.desktop
Timeout=1200

It did succeed in graying out these settings in the GUI for users globally,
but it doesn't  ever seem to force the blank locking screensaver to come on
and lock.

So my questions are:
1.  Does anyone have advice on making this work?
2.  Is there a reason I am missing for these sorts of things not living in
/etc/kde somewhere?  It is my understanding that config files should always
live in /etc/.  That's where we tell Puppet to put most things of this
nature.

Thanks!
 - Kodiak Firesmith