Goal compatibility request

Arkadiusz Guzinski kermit at ag.de1.cc
Fri Sep 23 13:35:44 BST 2022

Hi Elisa-Devs :),

for a long time, I was a happy Amarok user, but even though it's working now (again), with it's current state of (non-)maintanance I don't believe Amarok will be a viable choice in the long run and I can't see myself taking over maintanance of such a big codebase on my own.

Elisa on the other hand is actively developed and might become something I would want to use in the future. For this to happen however, much work is needed and some of it could be in conflict with your vision of what Elisa should be and I'd rather start writing my own mpd-client from scratch than end up with a fork.
This is why, instead of creating a bunch of feature requests (and maybe start to write the code..), I decided to write this mail to get some feedback.

Features, I consider must-haves:
* possibility to hide the upper part of the interface (the one showing the cover art)
* resize playlist
* show / hide main window via global shortcut
* efficient keyboard navigation / playlist interaction - that means it should be able to search for songs and add them (or a whole album) to the playlist as well as to rearange / delete songs in playlist using only the keyboard as quick and easy as possible and without having to use shortcut combos (except maybe for multi-selection)  — that is the one feature I'm also really missing in Amarok
* filterable tree of artist / album / title (as in Amarok / Clementine / Strawberry and many others). This could be integrated as something you select in the leftmost part or an optional replacement for it.
* support selecting multiple songs
* the ability to change to a non-touch-optimized UI-mode. This means:
    * dragging inside a list will start drag & drop or selection
    * hide the drag handle on songs as it only wastes space in this mode (ok.. this one is optional)
    * context menu (actually optional as well; but has the benefit of descriptions of actions for icons)

Small things that really bother me:
* the way multi-disc-album track number is displayed (track/disc). I'm not yet sure what the best way of dealing with this is, but there has to be a better way..
* the icon for non-existing cover-art in the playlist on a dark theme - it's probably fine on a light theme, but I find it visually displeasing with breeze dark. The one used by Amarok or the icon for "Albums" in the left list would be much better IMO

Nice to have:
* Amarok - style OSD (nice, customizable)
* better way of handling the transparency or slider color. Depending on colors of the cover art, the sliders for track progression and volume can have too little contrast.

So.. what do you devs think? Can all of this be implemented without breaking something you like to have in Elisa?

Best regards,
Arek