Compilation instruction

Nate Graham nate at kde.org
Mon Apr 12 23:01:07 BST 2021

On 4/11/21 5:11 AM, Maxime. Haselbauer wrote:
> Hi thanks for your message, I just tried, in a neon container.
> It does not run.
> It seems to me like a very complicated way of building.
> Is there a script that installs all building dependencies with apt  and
> then only compiles elisa itself ? (skipping compilation of all KDE
> stuff, since on a neon image it should be available anyway) ?

$ sudo apt build-dep elisa
$ kdesrc-build --no-include-dependencies elisa

The reason why we recommend building everything from source in the
generic documentation is that installing the dependencies from the
distro package manager only reliably works for rolling release distros.
It almost never works for Debian, Kubuntu, or others which ship old
versions.

And for Plasma, we frequently depend on git master versions of
frameworks dependencies that we know will be released before the plasma
version itself, so depending on master is safe. However this means that
even rolling release distro packages will not work since they will not
be new enough.

Teaching the user about all these things was deemed to be too hard and
too overwhelming, so we just tell them to build all the KDE dependencies
from source for simplicity's sake (only a certain type of simplicity,
clearly).

Nate