deleting files [was Re: introduction and questions]

Be be.0 at gmx.com
Sat Nov 28 23:33:18 GMT 2020

I understand your concerns about scope creep. I remember Amarok having a
feature to batch rename files based on tags in arbitrary user-defined
ways. This is a complex feature that should only need to be used rarely
(or when adding music to the collection if you really want). Although it
was convenient to have it in Amarok, I wouldn't mind having to use
another application to do that. I don't care if Elisa can let me drag
and drop music from one part of the filesystem to another or copy music
to my phone's microSD card. Those are not tasks I typically want to do
when I am listening to music. I am happy to do those in GNOME Files
rather than my music player application.

However, deleting files is different. When do I realize that I want to
delete music files? When I'm listening to them. Making me open a
separate application to do that is an annoying inconvenience. It is a
simple operation. It requires no options or configuration, only one
button or menu entry somewhere in the UI and a simple confirmation
dialog. Even if I was browsing my music collection in a file manager, I
would want to listen to files in a music player to confirm that I want
to delete them before deleting them in the file manager.