Licensing

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 09:09:46 GMT 2020

On dimanche 16 février 2020 12:31:39 CET Alexander Stippich wrote:
> On Sonntag, 16. Februar 2020 10:40:46 CET Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > After the recent release of Elisa on the Microsoft store, it appears that
> > there might be some uncertainties about the compatibility between
> > LGPLv3/GPLv3 and the store.
> >
> > I would like to get opinion about a possible change of license like this:
> >
> > * c++ code would be licensed something like LGPLv2+ (maybe as approved by
> > the KDE e.V. membership)
> >
> > * qml code would be licensed something like GPLv2+ (maybe as approved by
> > the KDE e.V. membership)
> >
> > What do you think ?
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > --
> > Matthieu

> Hello,

Hello,

sorry for the late answer.

> personally I don't mind a license change. I always wondered why the UI code
> is licensed with LGPL.
> It will probably not be that easy to reach all the contributors, though.
> I think the MPRIS code was taken from an existing implementation, which may
> make it hard to relicense it.

I know that. I still believe that code could be rewritten anyway. I am not
sure if in the end it would not have been better to write this from scratch by
looking at the spec only.

> Is the issue really LGPL3/GPL3? If it is, I am surprised since Qt is also
> released under LGPL3 as far as I know.

I agree. Given I am not a lawyer nor a license expert, I am entitled to trust
the advice I have been given.
At least, we could start by clarifying what is under LGPL and what is under
GPL.

> Best regards,
> Alex

Best regards