Licensing

Alexander Stippich a.stippich at gmx.net
Sun Feb 16 11:31:39 GMT 2020

On Sonntag, 16. Februar 2020 10:40:46 CET Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> After the recent release of Elisa on the Microsoft store, it appears that
> there might be some uncertainties about the compatibility between
> LGPLv3/GPLv3 and the store.
>
> I would like to get opinion about a possible change of license like this:
>
> * c++ code would be licensed something like LGPLv2+ (maybe as approved by
> the KDE e.V. membership)
>
> * qml code would be licensed something like GPLv2+ (maybe as approved by the
> KDE e.V. membership)
>
> What do you think ?
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> Matthieu

Hello,

personally I don't mind a license change. I always wondered why the UI code is
licensed with LGPL.
It will probably not be that easy to reach all the contributors, though.
I think the MPRIS code was taken from an existing implementation, which may
make it hard to relicense it.

Is the issue really LGPL3/GPL3? If it is, I am surprised since Qt is also
released under LGPL3 as far as I know.

Best regards,
Alex