Word puzzle in Elisa

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 21:40:41 BST 2020

Hello,

On dimanche 30 août 2020 23:03:27 CEST Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> El diumenge, 30 d’agost de 2020, a les 21:10:04 CEST, Carson Black va
escriure:
> > Hey, could you CC the Elisa mailing list about this?
>
> You can also use the CC as well as anyone else, but here, I'll do it for
> you.
> > I brought this up to the guy who added the string in question and he can't
> > understand why this is problematic for translation.
>
> Just ask Matthieu as a French speaker he'll be able to tell you that you
> can't translate that correctly.
>
> Example:
> https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=fr&text=No%20s
> ong%20found
> https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=fr&text=No%20
> album%20found
>
> Do you do "Aucune %1 trouvée" or "Aucun %1 trouvé"? Which of the
> translations you want to be wrong?

This is true and I never realized that when reviewing this change. Sorry for
that.

> Cheers,
>   Albert
>
> > Also, may be possible that none of the Elisa devs are here.

I am not subscribed to kde-i18n-doc list. Please, if you have issues with
translations in a project where I contribute, do not hesitate to ask me. I am
more than happy to help.

> > Thanks,
> > -- Carson Black [ Jan Blackquill ]
> >
> > Karl Ove Hufthammer <karl at huftis.org> schrieb am So., 30. Aug. 2020,
13:54:
> > > The following word puzzle is found in Elisa
> > >
> > > msgctxt "e.g. 'no artists found' or 'no albums found'"
> > > msgid "No %1 found"
> > >
> > > Can somebody fix it?

I am not sure what is the best way to fix that. I can only think of having the
different sentences as a whole in i18n calls: i18n("no artists found") or
i18n("no albums found"). We would have to modify the code to handle that
properly.

Is this something that would be an acceptable solution ?