Cover Files Extraction Branch

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 09:56:01 GMT 2018

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for your work on this.

On samedi 17 novembre 2018 18:01:18 CET Alexander Stippich wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I've pushed a branch called cover_manager.
> It contains a working solution for the extraction of cover images embedded
> in the files, but also does some more stuff. So here is a list:
> -reorder all platform-agnostic scanning files to a single folder
> -factors out the current code for cover searching into own class called
> cover manager
> -add tests and simple benchmarks
> -optimizations for cover searching
> -extract the cover art from music files
> -resize when image is too large (512x512 current maximum)
> -save all covers to standard data location, e.g. the same location where the
> database is located

I have done a quick review of the branch.
There are several blocking points.

I do not like that files and code unrelated to embedded cover images are
modified in the same branch. Please separate each topic you want to work on.

As far as I understand what you did, you are saving all cover images you found
(in directories or in metadata to a directory dedicated to store application
data).
Is my understanding correct ? In case yes, this is also a blocking point. We
should not store cover images in this type of directory. They are not
application data. We should also not duplicate existing files.

> Future things I would like to look at:
> -add a QQuickImageProvider for the cover manager (opinions?)
> -add functions to create artist pictures from the album covers (like in
> https://community.kde.org/KDE_Visual_Design_Group/Music_Player)
> -make maximum cover size configurable
>
> I would appreciate any feedback. I _think_ currently it is necessary to
> delete the old database in order to get the new images, but this is an
> issue unrelated to this branch.
>
> Best regards,
> Alexander

Best regards