File Browser Branch

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 16:33:04 UTC 2018

Hello Alex,

On vendredi 1 juin 2018 09:09:20 CEST Alexander Stippich wrote:
> Hello Matthieu,
>
> that's unfortunate that there are still many problems, but I agree that we
> should not merge it then.

As said in my other email, I have changed my point of view and propose to
produce a beta with it and try to fix the issues before final release. If the
tests show that the feature is not ready, we can always hide it.

> On Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2018 22:25:20 CEST Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > On lundi 28 mai 2018 22:55:33 CEST Alexander Stippich wrote:
> > > Hello Matthieu,
> > > Great to hear that you find the file browser useful. I'm currently quite
> > > short on time,  so please go ahead. It will certainly be nice if these
> > > two
> > > branches will be integrated for the next release.
> >
> > I did spent several hours on Tuesday working on the file browser branch. I
> > have been unable to fix a few problems I have seen.
> >
> > The most important being that the sort proxy messes up and some entries
> > just show up an empty delegate. This is only shown with the sort proxy
> > model. Removing the sort proxy model is also not an option, without that
> > the order of entries is just wrong.
>
> Can you elaborate on that? I didn't encounter such issues.

A big directory will start to populate incrementally with the sort being done
immediately on the model when it is being populated. When the model has all
files, some of them just show an empty delegate instead of the icon and file
name.

> > I have also tried making the navigation faster by leveraging the fact that
> > subdirectories can be navigated into by using them as root index when sing
> > a DelegateModel to embed the files model. This is currently not pushed
> > because issues remain.
>
> Using DelegateModel was my initial approach while relying on
> QFileSystemModel, but setting the root index just didn't work (a bug?).
> QFileSystemModel only worked with a TreeView, of which there is no QQC2
> version and is said to be quite slow.
> That's why I switched to KDirModel. I _think_ KDirModel only contains the
> currently specified folder in the model and that's why it can be easily used
> in a GridView. Setting the root index then does not make any sense.
> > I have also worries related to the fact that browsing big directories is
> > really much slower than dolphin for example. This is by at least one order
> > of magnitude.

KDirModel is a hierarchical model. If you wrap it into a DelegateModel, you
can browse sub folders.

> Didn't notice any performance issues, but my collection is probably not as
> big as yours. Also, I have a pretty fast SSD, what do you use as storage
> device? If Dolphin can handle it more efficiently, I should probably take a
> look at how they implemented it, but this will take some time.

I have a spinning hard drive. I believe the issue is somehow related to that.
We should fix it anyway because we need to support our users with classic hard
drives.

> > I believe we should fix those issues before landing the branch in master.
> > think people will be very happy with this feature but we should make it
> > works flawlessly or delays it.
> >
> > I am sorry for that. I would have loved to be able to push it to the next
> > release but I am not confident we can fix the issues before the next
> > stable
> > release and we have a feature freeze this Saturday.
>
> No worries. Stability is more important.
>
> Best regards,
> Alex
>
> > > Best regards,
> > > Alex
> > >
> > > On May 27, 2018 10:48:10 PM GMT+02:00, Matthieu Gallien
> >
> > <gallien.matthieu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > --