File Browser Branch

Alexander Stippich a.stippich at gmx.net
Fri Jun 1 07:09:20 UTC 2018

Hello Matthieu,

that's unfortunate that there are still many problems, but I agree that we
should not merge it then.

On Donnerstag, 31. Mai 2018 22:25:20 CEST Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello Alex,
>
> On lundi 28 mai 2018 22:55:33 CEST Alexander Stippich wrote:
> > Hello Matthieu,
> > Great to hear that you find the file browser useful. I'm currently quite
> > short on time,  so please go ahead. It will certainly be nice if these two
> > branches will be integrated for the next release.
>
> I did spent several hours on Tuesday working on the file browser branch. I
> have been unable to fix a few problems I have seen.
>
> The most important being that the sort proxy messes up and some entries just
> show up an empty delegate. This is only shown with the sort proxy model.
> Removing the sort proxy model is also not an option, without that the order
> of entries is just wrong.

Can you elaborate on that? I didn't encounter such issues.

> I have also tried making the navigation faster by leveraging the fact that
> subdirectories can be navigated into by using them as root index when sing a
> DelegateModel to embed the files model. This is currently not pushed
> because issues remain.

Using DelegateModel was my initial approach while relying on QFileSystemModel,
but setting the root index just didn't work (a bug?). QFileSystemModel only
worked with a TreeView, of which there is no QQC2 version and is said to be
quite slow.
That's why I switched to KDirModel. I _think_ KDirModel only contains the
currently specified folder in the model and that's why it can be easily used
in a GridView. Setting the root index then does not make any sense.

> I have also worries related to the fact that browsing big directories is
> really much slower than dolphin for example. This is by at least one order
> of magnitude.

Didn't notice any performance issues, but my collection is probably not as big
as yours. Also, I have a pretty fast SSD, what do you use as storage device?
If Dolphin can handle it more efficiently, I should probably take a look at
how they implemented it, but this will take some time.

> I believe we should fix those issues before landing the branch in master. I
> think people will be very happy with this feature but we should make it
> works flawlessly or delays it.
>
> I am sorry for that. I would have loved to be able to push it to the next
> release but I am not confident we can fix the issues before the next stable
> release and we have a feature freeze this Saturday.

No worries. Stability is more important.

Best regards,
Alex