Release 0.2.0

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Sun Jul 1 21:20:37 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have tagged a 0.2.0 release out of the 0.2 branch. The tarballs are being
uploaded.

Thanks to all the people having contributed to it.

I think this will be an interesting increment over the previous stable
version.

Here is a draft of the release announcement. Please help me improve it.

The Elisa team is happy to announce our first release, version 0.2.0.

Elisa is a music player developed by the KDE community that strives to be
simple and nice to use. We also recognize that we need a flexible product to
account for the different workflows and use-cases of our users.

We focus on a very good integration with the Plasma desktop of the KDE
community without compromising the support for other platforms (other Linux
desktop environments, Windows and Android).

We are creating a reliable product that is a joy to use and respects our users
privacy. As such, we will prefer to support online services where users are in
control of their data.

Since the first release of Elisa, we have been busy improving it. We added new
music browsing views (home directory browser and a genre browser). We improved
the interface and the general performance. A lot of smaller item have been
also done (full change log https://community.kde.org/Elisa/ChangeLog.0.2.0).

== Browsing Views ==

All views are now by default sorted ascending. A button also allows to change
the order.

A new view allows to browse your home directory. Only music files and
directory are shown. This way, people with missing music tags can easily play
it.

A new view allows to browse the music by going from genres to artists, their
albums and its tracks.

We plan to further improve the browsing to allow users to choose the wat to
browse their music.

== Interface ==

Elisa has now a proper icon. Thanks a lot to Paul Lesur to have contributed
it.

The player bar is now featuring all controls of music playback. The look of
the play list view and the selector of views have been refreshed and improved.

Use the new icons from Breeze to differentiate between actions (play, pause,
..) and states (playing, paused, ...).

== Performance ==

To avoid scanning files for changes at start, Elisa now keeps the last
modified time of files. Users not relying on Baloo should see a huge
improvement at application start.

The browsing views are now only loaded when shown. This is a first step to
reduce the memory usage. It should also speedup application start.

== Miscellaneous ==

Elisa is now finding much more cover images and most common cases should work.

There have been a few fix on Mpris2 support.

There have been various fixes to the internal tracks database.

The team would like to thank everyone who contributed to the development of
Elisa, including code contributions, testing, and bug reporting.

We are already working on new features for the next releases. If you enjoy
using Elisa, please consider becoming a contributor yourself. We are happy for
any support!

We have tagged some tasks as junior jobs. They are a perfect way to start
contributing to Elisa (https://phabricator.kde.org/project/board/193/)

Elisa source code tarball is available here.