Draft of release announcement

Alexander Stippich a.stippich at gmx.net
Thu Feb 1 20:58:49 UTC 2018

Hello,

as usual some comments inline.

On Donnerstag, 1. Februar 2018 21:16:38 CET Matthieu Gallien wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Please find bellow a first version of the release announcement:
>
> The Elisa team is happy to announce the second alpha release of the Elisa
> music player.
>
> When building this release, we have worked on our vision for the Elisa music
> player:

While building this release we...

> "Elisa is a music player developed by the KDE community that strives to be
> simple and nice to use. We also recognize that we need a flexible product
> to account for the different workflows and use-cases of our users.
>
> We focus on a very good integration with the Plasma desktop of the KDE
> community without compromising the support for other platforms (other Linux
> desktop environments, Windows and Android).
>
> We are creating a reliable product that is a joy to use and respects our
> users privacy. As such, we will prefer to support online services where
> users are in control of their data."
>
> We also want to not forget the KDE wide goals that have been chosen by the
> community. An example of this is the work of Alexander to update our
> community wiki page and to clean some cruft accumulated from the very early
> time of the development to lower the barrier for new people willing to join
> the development.

Since the last release we updated our community wiki page and cleaned some
cruft accumulated from the very early time of the development ....

> Since the last release, we did continue to tune the user interface for a
> smooth experience. We fixed issues with dark theme and tune the appearance
> of the buttons and sliders to improve their readability.

The user interface was further tuned for a smooth experience. Several issues
with the dark theme were fixed and the appearance of the buttons and sliders to
were slightly altered to improve their readability.

> We also worked on the improving the performance with a focus on the Elisa
> files indexer. We still recommend to use baloo when possible because the
> experience is better.

We also worked on improving the...

> We added the possibility to directly open a music track from a file browser
> in elisa or by specifying files as command line options. This is the first
> step to add support for browsing your music directories directly from
> elisa.

I think we should write Elisa always with a capital E, at least we should do
so consistently.

> Support for reading and writing m3u playlist has been added. There is one
> know issue when opening playlist with track file names including non ascii
> characters.
>
> Finally, elisa is know able to show you the metadata of your tracks and
> extending the set of supported metadata is an ongoing work.
>
> We hope you will enjoy this release as much as we enjoyed building it.
>
> Any comments ...
>
> I am not sure if we should be using notes.kde.org to draft the announcement.
>
> Best regards
>
> --
> Matthieu Gallien

Thanks for all the writing and best regards,

Alex