Draft of release announcement

Matthieu Gallien gallien.matthieu at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 20:16:38 UTC 2018

Hello,

Please find bellow a first version of the release announcement:

The Elisa team is happy to announce the second alpha release of the Elisa music player.

When building this release, we have worked on our vision for the Elisa music player:

"Elisa is a music player developed by the KDE community that strives to be simple and nice to use. We also recognize that we need a flexible product to account for the different workflows and use-cases of our users.

We focus on a very good integration with the Plasma desktop of the KDE community without compromising the support for other platforms (other Linux desktop environments, Windows and Android).

We are creating a reliable product that is a joy to use and respects our users privacy. As such, we will prefer to support online services where users are in control of their data."

We also want to not forget the KDE wide goals that have been chosen by the community. An example of this is the work of Alexander to update our community wiki page and to clean some cruft accumulated from the very early time of the development to lower the barrier for new people willing to join the development.

Since the last release, we did continue to tune the user interface for a smooth experience. We fixed issues with dark theme and tune the appearance of the buttons and sliders to improve their readability.

We also worked on the improving the performance with a focus on the Elisa files indexer. We still recommend to use baloo when possible because the experience is better.

We added the possibility to directly open a music track from a file browser in elisa or by specifying files as command line options. This is the first step to add support for browsing your music directories directly from elisa.

Support for reading and writing m3u playlist has been added. There is one know issue when opening playlist with track file names including non ascii characters.

Finally, elisa is know able to show you the metadata of your tracks and extending the set of supported metadata is an ongoing work.

We hope you will enjoy this release as much as we enjoyed building it.

Any comments ...

I am not sure if we should be using notes.kde.org to draft the announcement.

Best regards

--
Matthieu Gallien