Use list both ways

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sun Sep 20 14:42:40 BST 2026


Greetings.

During his talk "Packaging KDE on Debian"¹ Sandro brought up there is not 
much communication about downstream backports and other downstream work 
towards upstream again. And also that coordination between different 
distributions is rare.

I wondered whether it would make sense to use this list both ways. So far 
it has mostly been used for upstream to communicate important patches or 
hot fixes to downstream vendors. But it also could be used by downstream 
people to communicate backports or other work they did. That way upstream 
people can give feedback or give hints.

What do you think? Would that be useful?

This list is quite low volume, so I do not see any issue with downstream 
work summaries posted here once in a while. While I think cross-
distribution coordination may need a different communication channel that 
way a Gentoo developer can more easily see what was done in Debian and 
vice versa as well².

[1] https://conf.kde.org/event/11/contributions/339/

[2] Just an example. Not meant to exclude any distributions or BSD 
variants.

Best,
-- 
Martin




More information about the Distributions mailing list