Limiting access to just SFTP?

Rik Mills rikmills at kubuntu.org
Sat Oct 17 11:24:27 BST 2020

On 17/10/2020 09:26, Ben Cooksley wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Sysadmin is currently in the process of preparing a replacement system
> to Milonia, and one option currently under consideration with this is
> reducing the level of access to the system we grant packagers.
>
> Currently you are all provided with fully fledged shell accounts on the
> system, which we're proposing to reduce to SFTP access only.
>
> It would be appreciated if you could please let us know if this would
> cause any issues as part of your packaging workflows.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben Cooksley
> KDE Sysadmin

For Kubuntu, in a similar vein to others comment, loss of the ability to
rsync pre-release/release tars would break our current packaging
workflow, and switching to other methods would be sub-optimal.

I do make occasional use of the shell. We have symlinks created in our
home dir to simplify paths fetching stable/unstable/Attic. I also may on
occasion ssh in to check details of pre-release tars that way. Both of
those could be done other ways, but being able to login to a shell is
very much more convenient.

Rik Mills
Kubuntu