PipeWire as required dependency for xdp-kde

Eric Hameleers alien at slackware.com
Wed Apr 8 08:37:35 BST 2020

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020, Jan Grulich wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to make PipeWire as a required dependency for xdg-desktop-portal-
> kde. The reason is that it's heavily used in Wayland integration part, which
> is now being used on other places and I don't want to add ifdefs all over the
> place. This would be a new requirement for Plasma 5.19. I want to ask if this
> is okay for distributions. At least I know that Ubuntu, Arch, Debian, Fedora,
> openSUSE have PipeWire available in their repositories. What about others?
>
> I would like to also point out that this brings screen sharing support on
> Wayland so it's quite important part of xdg-desktop-portal-kde.
>
> Regards,
> Jan

I do not like the idea of imposing this as a hard dependency.
Slackware does not ship pipewire, we are also not interested in
Wayland.
I looked at it and noticed that pipewire has no formal releases and
distros ship it with a 0.2 or 0.3 version number. Should Plasma really
hard-depend on a piece of software which is immature or at least not
properly managed? Also, pipewire comes with its own dependency chain
which we do not fully cover in Slackware.
Could you please reconsider this idea.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers <alien at slackware.com>