Add drivers to Discover rather than all KDE distributions doing their own?

Neal Gompa ngompa13 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 13:20:24 GMT 2018

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 5:00 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello folks,
>
> It's the time in the Kubuntu release cycle where we are evaluating
> everything that will go into our next LTS release at the end of April. We
> have "KDE Config Driver Manager" which relies on Qapt, which nothing else
> does. So we can try to port away from qapt and create our own solution, or
> collaborate. We would prefer to collaborate.
>
> Is Discover a good way to handle this, or a distro-agnostic KCM? The Neon
> devels have https://phabricator.kde.org/T2844 and we Kubuntu folks have
> commented, but that effort seems to have stalled.
>
> Thoughts?

On the GNOME side, they've generally taken the approach that the
software manager tools should integrate the requisite functionality.
Their GNOME Software also handles drivers, though it requires
AppStream or equivalent information (cf. fwupd, etc.).

We should probably follow the same approach with Apper/Discover...

And please, avoid ubuntu-drivers-common. That fork of Jockey only
works with Ubuntu and its derivatives.

There's an emerging cross-distro tool that you should look into called
linux-driver-management. I maintain packaging for it for Fedora[1] and
Mageia[2]. It comes from the Solus Project and is designed to be
distro-agnostic. I'm actually working on some integrations for it for
Fedora and Mageia tools myself.

[1]: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/linux-driver-management
[2]: https://madb.mageia.org/package/show/application/0/release/cauldron/name/linux-driver-management