What's new in Plasma 5.12 LTS?

Agustin Benito (toscalix) abenito at kde.org
Fri Feb 23 13:29:02 GMT 2018

Hi,

On 22 Feb 2018 4:03 p.m., "Marco Martin" <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, Feb 22, 2018 at 11:58 AM, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel at suse.de>
wrote:
> So seriously, what's really in Plasma 5.12 that makes everyone want
> to go through the hassle of upgrading or try out KDE in the first
> place?
> Maybe some cool things are not even new but still worth mentioning
> as they (still) stand out from the competition?

As said by Johnathan, LTS releases focus on stability and bugfixes
(and may get a bit less of new shiny features than the other releases),
but that doesn't mean it's just that.
a great focus was performance improvements so boot time and memory
usage went down
compared to previous releases,
also there were some usability and artwork improvements (see the
easier global menu bar
configuring and better shadows/ clock layout)

As Nate says, since openSUSE is upgrading from 5.8 LTS, in your
announcement is probably good to have
all the differences from 5.8 which you find more noteworty. They are
listed in the announcement page
 (all screenshots are free to reuse)

As a technology project, KDE focus the release/promo content of new
technical features. Distros which main target are not developers, apply a
product  oriented focus, taking those features as a base to promote
improvements in important use cases for their main targets.

What I get from Ludwig's mail is that the gap between what we provide and
what they need from us is big and he is somehow reflecting it. Having been
there I recognise how hard it is to close that gap in every release when
you are shipping somebody elses code and you have not participated directly
in the design stage of that code nor followed the development process close
enough.

This is one of the challenges that the produtization of software developed
by community driven product have.

The solution not only rely on us but it is in our best interest to promote
the usage of KDE software, not just by people like us, developers, but
other profiles. And that is exactly what openSUSE Leap aims for. So, maybe
it would be interesting to seat with openSUSE promo team at OSC and/or
Akademy to analise the gap and how to improve the situation.

The good news is that KDE has the person to drive such effort. Paul Brown
has experience not just in promoting Open Source projects but also in
promoting Open Source based products. He can do a great job from our side.
What I do not know about is his availability (I added Paul in CC).

To be successful we would need openSUSE to play his part though. We also
need to consider that whatever effort we do, it should scale to help other
distros with similar targets.

I dream with having promo goals, personas and use cases from distros and
seeing our developers telling KDE promo guys how our software meet or
extend those use cases. Then we would provide that info in raw form to
openSUSE Leap and they create great professional quality material for their
users on how they can improve efficiency or security or... if they install
the new Leap version, having KDE as a flagship behind those improvements.

Best Regards