Upgrade note for kscreenlocker to Plasma 5.10

Fabian Vogt fabian at ritter-vogt.de
Thu Mar 9 16:07:11 GMT 2017

Hi,

Am Donnerstag, 9. März 2017, 16:49:09 CET schrieb Martin Gräßlin:
> Am 2017-03-09 08:56, schrieb Fabian Vogt:
> > Hi,

> >> Even if it were technically possible (which it isn't) it would not
> >> solve
> >> the
> >> problem as we also want to support transitions like 5.8 (or earlier)
> >> 5.10 (or later)
> >
> > Wouldn't it be technically feasible for kscreenlocker_greet to just
> > restart
> > itself if it notices that it cannot talk to kcheckpass anymore?
>
> No, the old kscreenlocker_greet doesn't know anything about it. Thus it
> cannot.

Why does it need to? kscreenlocker_greet could just invoke kcheckpass --protocolver
and compare (if it fails, too old). Or cmake writes the version id into a file
in /usr/share and kscreenlocker compares that, or...
KScreenlocker has all the information it needs available as far as I can tell.

Obviously it needs to be handled on the distro side at least once for 5.x -> 5.10.
After that we know that a 5.10 -> X update is always safe.

Otherwise we'd need to kill/offline upgrade with *every* update, which is triggered
by git commits or even changes in dependencies...

Cheers,
Fabian