Can Plasma 5.9 depend on Qt 5.7

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Thu Oct 27 10:40:09 BST 2016

Hi Martin.

Am Dienstag, 25. Oktober 2016, 08:16:26 CEST schrieb Martin Graesslin:
> the Plasma team would like to depend on Qt 5.7 for the next Plasma release
> (5.9). Reasons are among others, that we would like to use:
> * appmenu support
> * QtVirtualKeyboard support
> * QtQuickControls 2
>
> Which are all new in Qt 5.7.
>
> We would like to know whether that would cause a problem for any
> distribution. Please remember that Plasma 5.8 is an LTS and will stay on Qt
> 5.6.

From Lisandro of the Debian Qt/KDE team I received the following answer:

"we are working to have 5.7.1 into unstable soon, but we are on a tight
schedule."

So it *might* be that Debian 9 aka Stretch ships with Qt 5.7.

Anyway unstable currently has Plasma 5.8.2 and I am not aware of any plans to
move to 5.9 in time of Debian 9. So it is my personal oppinion that it won´t
matter for Debian whether you require Qt 5.7 for Plasma 5.9 or not.

Thanks,
--
Martin