kwalletmanager5 cannot access kwallet4 kwl files

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Mar 26 15:09:18 GMT 2016

On Samstag, 26. März 2016 14:26:56 CET Rex Dieter wrote:
> > Still it will allow the user to store new passwords into an obsoleted
> > wallet,
> kwalletmanager doesn't "store" anything typically, kde4 applications use the
> kwallet api to do so (and can and will still work even without
> kwalletmager"

Well, that does not change anything. Thing is, the user is still able to store
passwords into an obsolete kwallet.

> > 6) Disable write accesses into kwallet4.
>
> Your suggestion is not viable, imo.
> denying write access means current kde4 applications will no longer work as
> expected (ie, no new secrets will be saved).

Well… it can only work if there if the application gives the other a feedback.
But that said, it needs changes in code… and so…

> So, in the short term, there is no alternative to the
> more-than-slightly-confusing situation of having 2 kwallets... as long as
> you still want to support kde4 applications (that use kwallet).

might be the option to go with and is implementable by distros without
upstream work.

> Long-term, I'm looking forward to ksecrets saving the day.

From a user perspective and I bet distros can agree easily here I´d like to
see different migration paths in the future. Especially for something as
important as secrets.

Thanks,
--
Martin