kwalletmanager5 cannot access kwallet4 kwl files

Rex Dieter rdieter at unl.edu
Sat Mar 26 14:26:56 GMT 2016

> Still it will allow the user to store new passwords into an obsoleted wallet,

kwalletmanager doesn't "store" anything typically, kde4 applications use the kwallet api to do so (and can and will still work even without kwalletmager"

> 6) Disable write accesses into kwallet4.

Your suggestion is not viable, imo.
denying write access means current kde4 applications will no longer work as expected (ie, no new secrets will be saved).

So, in the short term, there is no alternative to the more-than-slightly-confusing situation of having 2 kwallets... as long as you still want to support kde4 applications (that use kwallet).

Long-term, I'm looking forward to ksecrets saving the day.

-- Rex