kwalletmanager5 cannot access kwallet4 kwl files

Martin Steigerwald martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Mar 26 12:24:16 GMT 2016

Hi!

I am mostly a user of Debian, having help here and there with bug triaging and
testing, and although I am fully aware of the situation and just accepted it
as is, other users are not and IMHO rightfully are upset about it. I didn´t
report anything, cause I migrated to kwallet5 using the migration routine and
was done with it and had lots of other stuff important to me.

The basic thing is:

kwalletmanager5 cannot access old kwallet4 files, yet Konqueror as of 15.12
still is Qt4 based. Debian only ships kwalletmanager5 so no way to access
passwords stored with Konqueror after the initial migration to the new
kwallet.

What would be your recommendations for distros to handle this situation?

I see several options:

1) Fix that kwallet5 cannot import kwallet4 files. Would be an upstream task
if you ask me.

2) Provide kwalletmanager4 packages alongside kwalletmanager5 packages for the
time being.

3) Put a bit fat warning readme in front of the user not to use Konqueror for
any serious webbrowsing anyway (as its unsupportable security wise at the
moment no matter whether using KHTML or WebKit as engine). Which is what I
decided how to handle it, I do not use Konqueror for any login based
webbrowsing anymore.

4) Remove Konqueror from Plasma 5 as it appears to be basically unmaintained
for years. And is not safe for webbrowsing. Thats at least the impression I
got. It would be really, really sad to see this option being chosen, cause…
there is no good alternative. Firefox is too heavy and lacks in integration,
Chromium doesn´t integrate, only konqueror starts up nice and fast and fully
fits into Plasma look and feel. Yet, it might be the most honest decision
unless one sees an option for a supportable web engine that Konqueror could
use.

Here is the link to the thread on Debian users mailing list:

How do I open a kwallet4 in Stretch?
https://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2016/03/msg00034.html

Things like that harm both upstream and distributor reputation.

I´d love to see things like that addressed in a better way in the future.
Currently both distributors and users are basically left alone with a mess
like this.

Thanks,
--
Martin