What distributions would like KDE to do, sidenote: developers, check your licenses!

Sandro Knauß sknauss at kde.org
Thu Apr 14 14:16:15 BST 2016

Hey,

> Hooks ensure the license is present or not already. I wonder if there is the
> need to have such metadata (appstream, yaml, whatever) in each repo with
> the license and ensure that things are compatible?
>
> I am however not knowledgeable enough on the topic.

well licence are really a topic that is quite hard to handle. At KDEPIM we
have mamy old code lying around from the time where only GPL2 was available.
So it is quite a task to ask everyone who was involved to ask about
relicense...

But yes metadata about allowed liceneses in a repo would help that the mess is
not getting worse. And also the metadata about what file has what licence with
licenceholder would improve the situation for distributions, because the need
this metadata, to write there copyright files.

Regards,

sandro