How to handle KDE not respecting YOUR distros requirements?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 12 10:04:41 BST 2016

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 10:41:20 PM CEST Richard Brown wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 3 April 2016 at 14:10, Richard Brown <RBrownCCB at opensuse.org> wrote:
> > Would be nice to have anyone who is interested come to the openSUSE
> > Conference this year [1] where I will be doing at least one talk about
> > openQA
> >
> > [1] https://events.opensuse.org/conference/oSC16
>
> Is there anyone from this list going to be taking me up on this offer?

our sysadmins who would have to setup an openQA infrastructure live in
Australia and USA/west coast. I doubt they will attend openSUSE conf.

> I'm working on the abstract for my proposal to the CFP and I want to
> get the balance right between either a general openQA talk or if I
> should be putting a KDE spin on it if there is going to be people from
> here attending it ;)

I have not yet decided whether I will go to openSUSE conf. In general I'm very
interested in openQA and similar technologies. Especially to know whether they
provide an additional benefit over our current test infrastructure at
build.kde.org. Our biggest areas of quality issues are things like:
* what happens when you physically unplug a screen
* what happens if new Qt version regressed in multi-screen handling
* what happens if the Intel xorg driver regressed [1]

Do you think OpenQA could help us detect these problems automatically? If so,
I would be very interested to learn more. If not, we may have to look for
other solutions, after all.

Especially the fact that one can hardly auto-test xrandr is a huge problem to
us. On the other hand we work a lot on making this testable - our Wayland
efforts are completely designed around making this testable. With KWayland
having a line test coverage of > 80 %, kscreen having dedicated test
infrastructure allowing to feed in configurations. That's all things our
current infrastructure can already handle.

Cheers
Martin

[1] This is truly the biggest problem we have at the moment. At least once
every two weeks I have to investigate some weird regression in a distribution
and it always boils down to Intel driver regressed. That are things like
* session manager not starting at all
* random freezes
* rendering artifacts
* random crashes in random applications