kwin_x11 requires a "platform" plugin in Plasma 5.7

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Tue Apr 12 07:09:36 BST 2016

Hi distros,

this is just a small heads-up to a change in KWin's architecture for Plasma
5.7 which you need to consider during packaging.

So far we had platform/backend plugins only for kwin_wayland. With Plasma 5.7
we also introduce such a plugin for kwin_x11 and kwin_x11 won't start if it's
not present. The name of the new plugin is KWinX11Platform and it's installed
to: ${PLUGIN_INSTALL_DIR}/org.kde.kwin.platforms/

Most likely the install location of the other platform plugins is going to
change as the location had wayland in it, which now is no longer the case.

The change is done to share more code and reduce complexity inside KWin.

Cheers
Martin